Basically So  

Posted by Roland

Is it me, or is anyone else really irritated that everyone in the world who tries to explain something starts their sentences with "Basically"? I've heard some people who didn't know what they were trying to say use the word like 8 times during the explanation. Wow.

I'm also noticing more and more that people are ending their sentences with "so...." and then trail off, not finishing it.

Basically, I just find the whole thing a bit distracting and a little irritating, so....

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at Wednesday, June 20, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

http://www.basically.net/

see also:

"The fact that..."
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/fact.html

10:57 PM
Anonymous  

I've been a terrible "basically"-er in the past and have been struggling with the problem fairly successfully. I also had difficulty using other positive adjectives besides "wonderful," but have been working on that one fairly effectively, too. I think "So..." is a lazy-butt shortening of "So yeah...." I think "So yeah..." does a very poor but passable job of concluding a concept while "So..." is just irritating, like the speaker can't decide if they're done yet or not. Maybe they aren't able to complete their thoughts effectively enough to know.

12:36 PM

Post a Comment