Boredom and Moving  

Posted by Roland

I've been pretty bored lately. I've done a lot of work packing and preparing and yesterday the mover guy and I went through the house for an estimate. But overall I just keep having to wait on other people. I won't hear back from Mayflower until Monday. Mayflower is what my company recommended so that's who I'm using. They seem to be a good moving company and have several safeguards in place to ease all the issues I had with our previous moving companies. But they're probably a lot more expensive. But its only like 450 miles so hopefully it'll be within my relocation budget.

Speaking of relocation budget, my new company is paying for my move, but only a set amount. So I have to be careful not to go over that amount. It should be enough though. We'll see. We have about 12,000 lbs worth of crap, 4 animals, and 2 SUVs. Of course, we'll be taking the computers, work stuff, animals, and 1 SUV with us. I'm considering renting and pulling a small trailer to carry the things we'll need the first week after the move, before the movers arrive.. like our mattress to sleep on, some folding chairs, etc. I think that'll be covered too.

The relocation budget is very strict, and does not cover temporary housing. Thus I have to pay for my own hotel when I go down there to look for a place to live. I'll probably be leaving tonight and looking Monday through Thursday. 3 or 4 days should be long enough. I hope. I've been trying to find a way to avoid hotel room costs (40-70 bucks a day) but so far no luck. It's kinda cold to sleep in the car and apparently all the rest stops in the area have a 2 hour limit.

I've been looking online and rent.com and move.com and all those places suck for finding a single family detached home for rent. I've found craigslist very useful though and I have about 20 rental homes to look at once I go down there.

I can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about this move. Maybe its because we just moved back in July, or perhaps I'm not looking forward to the area. The company is great and the project is outstanding. I just wish they were located near San Diego. With the baby coming it would be nice to be around friends and family. I also miss everyone and everything. Especially gaming with friends and eating at familiar restaurants. Besides, we're gonna need free baby sitters later this year. I'm sure we'll make new friends and find new places. But going through all that again is getting tiresome.

Ah well. Violet commented that I hadn't posted anything in a while so I figured I should ramble something off before driving down to Fairfax, VA. I think I've accomplished that.

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 at Sunday, February 25, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment