Trailer Woes  

Posted by Roland

Being addicted to Craigslist, I thought it would be a good idea to buy a trailer so I can haul stuff like free pool tables and shelves and crap. So I bought a nice 5x8 utility trailer from Lowe's. Note the link isn't the trailer I bought.. it just looks like that one. Lowe's has a link on their website that allows you to get an emailed coupon for 10% off. So I saved about 70 bucks. But umm, anyway, I had some problems:

The ball and extension I bought from UHaul to tow the rental trailer I rented during the move a month or two ago, I thought, was 1 and 7/8". Which is standard size for the class 2 trailer I rented. I think. Anyway...

The trailer I bought is 1 7/8" so no problems. Except the ball was 2", not 1 7/8". So I went back in and bought a 1 7/8" ball. But then the lowe's employee and I couldn't get the ball off the extension.. there was a HUGE nut on it and it was loc-tite'd. Lowe's couldn't even get the ball off the extension. They didn't have an extension that was the same shank width as the 1 7/8" ball I bought, so I ended up having to buy a combo extension with 3 balls on it (1 7/8", 2", and 2 1/8")
This took well over an hour, during which time Violet sat, very unhappily, in the car. And cost about as much as I had saved with the coupon.

The trailer is pretty nice, wasn't too expensive, and Lowes gave me the title to take to the DMV.
It now sits in my garage, waiting for use. and a license plate...

DMV Trip #1. Oh yes, I have to number these...
I went to a DMV "Select" location, which is a DMV with fewer services than a regular dmv. They needed the bill of sale, which I didn't have with me.

DMV trip #2: I went back the next day with the receipt. They couldn't help me because I didn't have a VA license (and selects don't do new licenses) nor a proof of residency. I had to goto a different DMV in the mall down the road from work.

DMV Trip #3: I goto the DMV at the mall again with a utility receipt as proof of residency. They can't help me because Lowe's didn't sign the title.

Lowes Trip #3 (I had already went there twice to look at trailers, and then a 2nd time to purchase one.. I didnt care for the trailers avail via Craigslist). They didn't know what I was talking about regarding signing a title for a trailer... they've never had to do that before. I said the dmv said they should be doing it, and showed them the pen park that the DMV wrote on the form. A manager eventually came out and signed it.

DMV trip# 4: I show up with all the paperwork, signed, sealed, etc. They charge me 97 bucks (Lowes doesn't charge sales tax for trailers, the DMV does that.. + 20 bucks for a permanent license plate). 30 mins after entering I leave.

I never waited too long at the DMV, since I sacrificed my lunch hour (or half hour) each time.. but that's a lotta wasted lunch times.

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 at Thursday, April 26, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment